Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Hmmm...

The rooster crows the first time -
I was making my way home when I got "mugged" on the Ever Gotesco Commonwealth avenue overpass. Apparently, the mugger mistook me for someone else being drunk (and maybe high on shabu by the looks of it). I though he would take my money (I had nothing much on my pocket that night), or my cellphone. Fortunately(?), all I got was a kick on the side. Call me crazy, but I was actually thanking the high heavens after that incident. Things could have been worse, but there I was walking with my head still on my shoulders (and my wallet and cellphone still on my pocket). I considered the event that night a reminder from the big Man upstairs, kicking my butt to let me know that yes, he's still the boss around here.

Seeing Pink -
What's with the pink MMDA fences lining almost every road on the Metro? It took me almost an hour to travel from Philcoa to Ortigas (Note: this happened at 6AM) because one of the fences near Camp Crame collapsed on a car, stemming the traffic to a standstill. E mukhang mas nakaka-cause pa ng traffic jams yung mga pink fences rather than alleviate it. Like steel livestock, cars and buses are being herded along EDSA at a snail's pace because these pink fences reduced the once 6-lane highway to 4-lane alley. Parang gusto ko na nga sabihin - Manong, paki-sagasaan na lang yung mga pink fences na yan! Arg!

Narnia -
I am currently reading the Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis. I am down to the last 2 books (there are 7 books in all), all very British and very Tolkien-ish (if you get my drift, my dear Watson). Jing told me that CS (Lewis) and JRR (Tolkien) had this group called the Inklings(?)
and apparently both dabbled into fantasy. While The Lord of the Rings was the seriouser of the two, Narnia was more of an adult storybook. Don't get me wrong, Narnia's giants consider men to be a delicacy, and doses of death and torture still abound in the series so I guess adults won't be much disappointed. It was nice to read fantasy books that were written 50 years ago and discover the seeds that CS and JRR planted bloom into JK Rowling's Harry Potter, Neil Gaiman's Stardust and maybe even Stephen King's Dark Tower.

Comments:
i like narnia, too.

sarap magbasa ng fantasy no?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?