Friday, July 23, 2004

My Musical Influences

One thing I discovered is that you really don't have to be interested in music, all you have to be interested in are people and their musical preferences. When I was a kid, my uncle (who to me was like a big brother) used to listen to the alternative music of his time - songs by Sampaguita, Asin and the like. I never knew then what they were fighting for, all they were are sweet melodies that were so native, so purely local. My lolos and lolas taught me how to listen to classical music. My lolo Tot would teach me how to dance to his favorite Latin music, while there was always Bach and Mozart and Chopin whenever my lola Caying would get tired of listening to the popular music of those times. My Aunts and Uncles, who were teenagers at that time, were into Earth, Wind and Fire, Barry Manilow, Elton John and others. Even distant relatives and househelps were able to introduce me Laura Brannigan and her contemporaries. When my nephews and nieces were born, I could sing along the nursery rhymes that they play all day.
 
My Seminary days brought in Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer and Andrew E (go figure!). It was a good thing that I was able to "refine my tastes" when I encountered Eraserheads, YaNo, Rivermaya and all the budding local bands during that time. Before that, my friends and I were into the Beatles, Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, Aerosmith, Scorpions (can't believe that I was into them) and others of the same genre.
 
Its funny how music reminds you of the person and events that introduced you to it. Gin Blossoms would always be Jing's, EraserHeads would be Nap, Manny and Jet, Abet and the Calderon Dorm would always remind me of Oasis days and vice versa. Rivermaya would be for the countless crushes that I had during my college days, Nins and Pat made me appreciate Sting, Ponpon and the sound of culture, Red would always be Horny, Malaya and her grungy Nirvana Unplugged, Kath and Dara spawned Incubus though I was able to hear it first from Jigs and my Marilag housemates, Raf would always be the Skyline Pigeon, Jem got me on John Mayer, Jason Mraz and Ryu, Ponoy would always be Right Here Waiting and the Seminary would always be the City of God. Adele would always be Little Miss Muppet, Mama would always be Somewhere Down the Road, Papa would always be in Eric Clapton's Heaven, Sam had Linkin Park and Kayan would be always be my Throwing Copper, Walking After You, Golden Slumbers and hiphop music.
 
I could almost picture my entire life in one songbook.




Comments:
same here. am glad you wrote on that topic. i usually remember events by associating music to them (on associating a song with a person - well, there maybe a few). i might post that on my blog soon.

"Red would always be Horny." -bwahaha!
 
aha! meron pala isa. i associate you with "sex and Candy" by Marcy Playground. madalas mo gitarahin noon e =)
 
sound of culture? ano yun? haha
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?